Undergraduate Catalog 2021-2022 
    Feb 21, 2024  
Undergraduate Catalog 2021-2022

Admission and Student Records

Navajo Technical University has an Open Admission Policy. Admission is available to any student, not currently under suspension from any post-secondary institution, who meets at least one of the following criteria:

  1. Is a high school graduate, or
  2. Has passed the GED test.
  3. Is a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.

Admission to NTU does not necessarily mean acceptance into specific certificate or degree programs. For information on admission to specific degree programs, contact the department for more information. For all categories, the University requires full academic disclosure on the application forms. Any student found guilty of non-disclosure or misrepresentation on an application is subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University. Transcripts and test scores submitted to NTU for admission become the property of the University and will not be sent elsewhere or returned to the student.

USE OF SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS Your Social Security Number (SSN) will not be your primary University identification number. It will not appear on your NTU identification card. NTU is required to collect your SSN in order to provide full access to services such as financial aid, to ensure an accurate academic record, and for record-keeping purposes. The University will protect the confidentiality of your SSN as required by law.

The Enrollment Services directs all functions of the Admissions and Registration Office. The Office of Admissions is located in the Skyhawk Central building on the main campus in Crownpoint, NM and all instructional sites have identified locations as introduced on the prior page of this catalog.

Access to online admission application is available on the NTU website: Online Application | Future Student | Welcome to NTU (navajotech.edu)

All correspondence regarding admissions should be directed to:
NTU, Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 849, Crownpoint, NM 87313

Application Process

  1. General Admissions
    The following documents must be received in the Admission’s Office through online process or in person. There are additional requirements for all Bachelor Degree Programs and the following programs: Commercial Driver License (CDL), and Veterinary Technology. International Students have their own admissions requirements.
    1. A completed and signed NTU Admissions Application.
    2. Copy of Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) or an official record of enrollment that indicates membership with a federally recognized Indian Tribe for all Native American students.
    3. An Official high school transcript or an official General Education Development (GED):
      • Official high school transcripts should indicate graduation date and a “passing” result from the state competency exam. Students, who do not have an official high school transcript to indicate completion, will be required to submit a notarized Verification of Completion from the school district attended.
        Note: Students who do not have high school documentation are not eligible for federal student aid. These students are responsible for payments of tuition and fees.
      • GED results require a passing score of 45 or higher in all subject areas from the state GED office
      • High School Transcripts will be waived for transfer students that have accumulated 24 credit hours or at least an associate degree. Admissions will still attempt to collect the transcript.
    4. Copy of Social Security Card - verification of legal name and SSN number.
    5. For Transfer students - An Official college transcript from each college/university attended.
      1. Official transcripts must be in a sealed envelope and preferably mailed directly from the institution to the NTU Registrar’s Office. Institutions that send Electronic Transcripts are to be emailed directly to the Registrar only for it to be official. Note: Transfer courses are not included in calculating the student’s NTU cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA).
      2. A Transfer Student who does not have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or on academic suspension will be referred to the Academic Counselor to be placed on an academic contract or education plan
    6. Copy of DD214 if a Military Veteran to verify status.
    7. Copy of COVID Vaccination Card.
  2. Home School Admissions
    Students enrolled in a home school program may be accepted to NTU if they meet regular or provisional admissions requirements. In addition, the home school educator must submit a transcript or document that lists the courses completed and grades earned by the student and the date the student completed or graduated from the home school program.

    Home school students who are New Mexico residents and wish to participate in the Lottery Success Scholarship program are required to submit official New Mexico GED or HiSET test results in English.

    Note: Students who do not have high school documentation are not eligible for federal student aid. These students are responsible for payments of tuition and fees.
  3. Early Admission for High School Students
    Outstanding high school students can be admitted to NTU prior to high school graduation as a concurrent enrollment. Early admissions must be made directly to the Registrar unless otherwise articulated through an agreement with a local high school or school district.

    The requirements for high school admission are outlined below:
    • Written recommendation from the high school principal/counselor
    • Current High school transcript with cumulative GPA as follows:
      Junior - 3.5 minimum GPA required (or top ¼ of class)
      Senior - 3.0 minimum GPA required (or top ¼ of class)
    • A completed NTU admissions application
    • Accuplacer test result
    • Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) or an official record of enrollment that indicates membership with a federally recognized Indian Tribe
    • Signed NTU Alcohol and Drug Free Policy affidavit
    • A signed parental permission form if applicant is under the age of 18.
  4. Dual Credit
    Dual credit enrollment is for high school students who wish to earn both high school credit and college credit at the same time. The dual credit option is available for New Mexico and Arizona high school students whose school district has a signed Dual Credit Memorandum of Agreement or Statewide Master Agreement with Navajo Technical University, as well as home school students.

    Requirements for dual credit admissions:
    • Meet with their high school counselor to determine eligibility and available courses.
    • Submit an NTU Dual Credit Application for Enrollment.
    • Copy of Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) or an official record of enrollment that indicates membership with a federally recognized Indian Tribe for all Native American students. Current Official High School Transcript
    • For New Mexico students: Submit a completed New Mexico Statewide Dual Credit Request Form.
    • For Students under 18 years of age, must have parent’s signatures on all forms requiring Parents Signatures.

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Credits earned at regionally accredited institutions of higher learning are accepted. Pre-college credits are not transferable. Transfer credit will not be given without an official transcript.

  • Transfer credit will be awarded for each college course level in which the student received a grade of “C” or higher.
  • A limit of 30 credit hours may be transferred toward an associate degree and a limit of 15 credit hours may be transferred toward a certificate program. Students in the bachelor degree program who request to have their courses transferred will have a limit of 60 credit hours eligible for transfer.
  • The courses must be taken within the ten-year time limit of admission into the University. Credits over ten (10) years of age are subject to review prior to acceptance toward prerequisites and/or degree requirements in some program areas.
  • Science courses in the Registered Nursing Program must be taken within eight (8) years from admission or they must be retaken.

Military Credit Evaluation

Military service credit is granted based on recommendation of the American Council of Education’s “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Service” and institutional policies. No credit is granted for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS). Submit all military transcript to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation. The Veteran’s certifying official is located in the Financial Aid Office, (505) 786-4183.

  1. Non-Degree Admissions
    Applicants who seek to enroll in a course or courses, but do not seek a degree or certificate shall submit a NTU enrollment application and a CIB (Certificate of Indian Blood). For those younger than 18 years of age, approval of parent or guardian will be required. Students on non-major status are not eligible to receive financial student aid or student employment, nor are they eligible to participate in student government or intercollegiate athletics, or to receive benefits from any veteran’s program.
  2. Admission Requirements for International Students
    • ​​A completed NTU International Student Application
    • Official High School Transcripts - Translated into English if in different language
    • Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores
      • TOEFL scores must be less than 2 years old from date of Admissions.
      • Acceptable Scores: 500 paper, 173 computer base, 61 internet base.
    • Financial Support Form
    • Official College Transcript - Translated into English if in different language

Navajo Technical University complies with the Department of Homeland Security and Student and Exchange Visitor Program within the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Upon NTU’s issuance of an I-20 form to the student, each International student must comply with the following:

  1. Must be enrolled as a full time student -
    1. May only take one - three credit course online.
    2. Must have current I-20, attend the school stated on I-20.
  2. Must be enrolled in a program of study that results in a degree, diploma or certificate
  3. Must be proficient in English
  4. May not work off-campus during the first year academic year.
  5. Students are responsible for locating suitable housing.
  6. Students are responsible for providing transportation to and from the college.
  7. Health Insurance.
  8. Keep local address updated. Student has 10 days to report a new address if local address is changed.

Accuplacer Testing and ACT placement

New incoming students are required to take the Accuplacer placement test to place students in the appropriate Math and English courses. Students can use ACT scores to determine if they meet a certain score for placement. Transfer students who have successfully completed a college level English and Math with a C or better at another institution (as recorded on an official transcript) will not have to take the test if the course was completed within 10 years of the admission date on the application. The advisor and academic counselor provide Accuplacer placement test interpretation for appropriate placement in Math and English courses. ACT score placements are available at the admissions office. Contact numbers: Crownpoint: (505) 387-7377, Chinle: (928) 882-3133.

NOTE: Students who placed lower on the Accuplacer placement test will be required to take additional English or Math courses. EXAMPLE: a student whose accuplacer score places them in ENG098 will have to satisfactorily complete ENG098 (a grade of C or better) before they can take the higher level required English course(s) for their certificate or degree.

  1. Re-admission
    Students who have not attended Navajo Technical University for two consecutive semesters must reapply for admission. The student is responsible for providing all the admissions documents and may be required to retake the placement test if the Math and English requirement have not been met.

    Students who were previously dismissed from NTU due to unsatisfactory academic performance (Academic Suspension), policy violations, or unacceptable behavior must submit a written request for readmission to the Registrar’s Office. All requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
    • Students with a previous history of substance abuse will be referred automatically to the Counseling Department.
    • Students on academic suspension must submit a request for readmission to the Registrar’s Office and upon approval will be referred to the academic counselor and placed on an academic contract.
    • All outstanding debts to the college have to be satisfied in order for a former student to be re-admitted. Students who have an outstanding account will be referred to the Business Office (student billing) to resolve their outstanding debt.
    • No official college transcript(s) will be released to all requesting parties, for a student who has an outstanding debt to the college.

Denial or Cancellation of Admission

NTU reserves the right to deny or cancel the admission and/or registration of any student who has an outstanding debt at NTU. Any person found to have knowingly and willfully made false statements, furnished any false information, and/or concealed any material information will be subject to expulsion. NTU will not tolerate any such activity and will conduct a thorough internal investigation.

Appeal Procedure

Any student denied admission may submit a written appeal letter to the Registrar within 15 days of issuance of the notice of admission denial. The appeal letter shall detail the circumstances justifying reconsideration for admission. The student shall also submit supporting documentation that substantiates the appeal. The Registrar will then schedule a meeting with the applicant and the Director of Enrollment within 5 business days of receiving the appeal. The applicant will be notified of the appeals decision by mail within 10 business days of the meeting.

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

NTU complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990(ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and is committed to make reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of self-identified students with disabilities. Qualified students with disabilities should discuss their needs with the Disability Accommodations Specialist in order to receive reasonable accommodations. The Specialist may be contacted at (505) 786-4138. All accommodations for employees should contact the Human Resource Office.

Program Admission Requirements

  1. Admission Requirements for Commercial Driver License Program
    The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 (CMVSA/86) requires all the individual states to comply with certain standards in regards to the licensing of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers. A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required when driving applicable trucks and buses. A CDL license can only be issued in the driver’s state of legal residence, and you have to surrender your driver’s license from any other state you many have. The Commercial Driver License (CDL) program is offered at the main campus in Crownpoint, New Mexico.

    The CDL Program requires additional documents along with general admissions, requirements vary from each state and students test in their perspective resident state, requirements listed below are for NM:
    • A valid New Mexico Driver’s license (If applicant is between the ages of 18 - 24, applicant must show proof of completing a DUI Awareness class)
    • Department of Transportation’s physical exam form completed.
    • A copy of driving record from the New Mexico Department of Motor Vehicles Division
    • A copy of birth certificate
    • 2 documents that show proof of physical residence in New Mexico.

When all of the required documents are received and accepted by the Admission’s Office, the applicant will receive a letter of acceptance to NTU.

  1. Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Program
    Veterinary program has additional requirements for admissions. The admissions office will admit students into the university once all general admissions requirements are met but official admissions into the Veterinary Program is determined by the program’s admissions process. Official admission is granted during the spring semester immediately preceding the fall semester student plans to begin. Veterinary Technology program core courses begin in the fall semester. Students must meet several requirements:

    The requirements for admission into the program beginning the fall semester include the following:
    1. Students meet with the Program Director prior to obtaining the application and evaluation forms for official admission.
    2. Students must complete all general education courses on the degree checklist.
    3. Maintain a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.50 or higher in all required general education courses (BIO120, CHEM 1217C , ENGL 1110  or ENGL 1120  or ENGL112, and MATH 1220 ) with a C or higher not C-. Any required science course must be taken within 8 years.
    4. Pass VET 090 - Introduction to Veterinary Technology  course (1 credit hour) with a grade of C or higher.
    5. Maintain a cumulative science and math G.P.A. of 2.50 or higher. The last grade received will be used in the GPA calculation for repeated courses for VET program calculation for admissions. The university calculates GPA differently for repeats.
    6. Submit official college transcripts showing completed general education courses. General education courses must be taken in the last 8 years.
    7. Submit three (3) official letters of recommendation covering education and relevant veterinary experience from the last 12 months.
      • Two letters must be submitted by high school teachers that taught the student in their required general education courses (including math, science and English) and/or college instructors that taught student in their required general education courses (including math, science, and English).
      • At least one letter from a veterinarian who served as student’s supervisor in a veterinary clinic or zoo where student performed veterinary-related assistance.

        Note: Letters must be signed, sealed in envelopes and sent directly to the Veterinary Program Advisor by the individual making the recommendation. Letters from family members will not be accepted.
    8. Students must complete a minimum of 40 hours of volunteer work prior to the application deadline.

      Hours should not be completed in a one-week period but spread out over several weeks to ensure exposure to a variety of tasks and services in the veterinary practice, exotic animal facility, research, or laboratory animal facilities. Up to 16 hours may be completed in any single week. Mixed animal practice volunteer experience is strongly recommended to expose students to small, large, and exotic animal veterinary services. Lacking experience may require more hours to complete volunteer work in identified areas. Student will be required to learn and perform small, large, exotic, avian, and lab animal veterinary technician tasks and skills in the program. Failure to do so, will result in dismissal from the program.
    9. Students must submit an official, signed, and completed supervisor (Veterinarian at site) evaluation form. Evaluation form is required in addition to the recommendation letter. Forms must be signed, sealed in envelopes and sent directly to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital address listed on the form by the individual making the recommendation.
    10. Submit a current resume, immunization record documenting tetanus vaccination status is current (within the last 10 years), and proof of health insurance coverage or Crownpoint Indian Health Service chart number. Rabies vaccination will be required at the end of the first semester to continue in the program.
    11. Submit a 500-word max on why they are pursuing an Associate of Applied Science degree in Veterinary Technology.
    12. Students that have submitted an application and all required documents by the deadline will be notified for an interview date and time if they semi-qualify for admissions. Qualified students will be interviewed by the Admissions Committee of faculty, Dean, and Program Advisor to determine admission into the Veterinary Program.
      • Submission of an application and required documents by the deadline does not guarantee official admission into the program.
      • Students denied official admission may reapply for the next application deadline. Students are strongly encouraged to strengthen their application and continue volunteer work to increase experience.
  2. Admissions Requirements for Bachelor Programs
    • ​​Complete all prerequisite in the degree program
    • Complete all General Education requirements and the 100-200 level courses within the first five semesters of the Bachelor Program

Declaration of a Major

All students shall identify a major in a certificate or degree program, unless they are identified as Non-Major. Those who plan to earn a certificate or degree from NTU will have met the program placement requirements and officially have declared their major (program of study).

Certificate Programs

Upon successful completion of a specific career program listed in the catalog, students will receive a certificate if they have passed all the required coursework, including general education requirements, earned the required credits, maintained a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better, and have satisfied any outstanding debt to the college.

Degree Programs

Students enrolled as degree candidates in one of the Associate or Bachelor degree programs will receive their degree if they pass all of the required coursework, including general education requirements, earned the required credits, maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better, and have satisfied any outstanding debt to the college.

  • Associate Degree
    Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree: An AAS degree program prepares students to enter either skilled or paraprofessional occupations or to upgrade workplace skills and knowledge. An AAS program is not intended to transfer to a bachelor’s degree, although certain courses may be accepted at some institutions. The exception to this rule is when an AAS is used to enter a BAS program.

    Associate of Arts (AA) Degree: An AA degree provides a foundation in general education including courses in mathematics, humanities and social sciences, communication, and natural sciences. Students may transfer their degree credits to a four-year institution to pursue a bachelor’s degree in the arts or sciences.

    Degree Types Definitions

    Associate of Science (AS) Degree: An AS degree is an associate degree in the areas of science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) or in Early Childhood Education Development (ECED).
  • Baccalaureate Degree
    Bachelor of Arts (BA): Graduate and professional schools typically require a four-year BA or BS for admission. The curriculum of a traditional BA degree is centered on providing a well-rounded, liberal arts education. Students pursuing a BA are not required to have an associate’s degree.

    Bachelor of Science (BS): BS programs normally require a student to take the majority of their courses (usually 1/2 or 3/4) in the sciences, namely life sciences, physical sciences, engineering, or the mathematical sciences. Graduate and professional schools typically require a four-year BS or BA for admission. Students pursuing a BS are building on an Associate Science degree.

    Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS): An undergraduate degree that focuses studies on an applied science with hands-on projects or fieldwork. A BAS degree is designed for students that work immediately after graduation; they are more focused on vocational subjects. Students pursuing a BAS degree normally build on an Associate of Applied Science degree.

    Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA): A standard undergraduate degree for students seeking a professional education in the visual or performing arts that will often require an area of specialty. A BFA requires approximately 2/3 of the course work focus on the creation and study of visual arts, and 1/3 of the course work focus on liberal arts (history, literature, psychology, etc.)

    Master Degrees
    See Graduate Program Catalog.

Change of Major

Any student who wishes to change his/her major after classes start will need to submit a Change of Major form to the Registrar. The student will be required to meet with the Academic Advisor or Counselor and the Financial Aid Officer for approval. No changes shall be allowed after the deadline for the last day to register for that semester. Changing a major could affect eligibility for student federal aid, for more info see the financial aid section of this catalog.

Enrollment Status Definitions

  1. First-time Enrolled Student: A student who is enrolled for the first time in higher education. Only after a student graduates from high school or receives a GED can s/he be considered first-time enrolled student, even if s/he was formerly a Dual Credit Enrolled student.
  2. Continuing: A student who was enrolled in this institution’s main or site campuses the most previous sessions (e.g., Spring or Summer for Fall students and Fall for Spring students). Students newly admitted to graduate school are excluded.
  3. Returning: A student who was previously enrolled in this institution’s main or site campuses, but was not enrolled the most previous session (not counting Summer or Fall students). Students newly admitted to graduate school are excluded.
  4. Transfer Student: Any transfer student seeking admission to NTU who intends to work toward a degree or certificate from NTU should apply for admission. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges or universities. NTU accepts transfer credit for courses that have a grade of “C” or better and if an equivalent course is offered at NTU. No special topic classes will be accepted for transfer. A limit of 30 credit hours may be transferred toward an associate degree and a limit of 15 credit hours may be transferred toward a certificate program. Students in the bachelor degree program that request to have their courses transferred will have a limit of 60 credit hours eligible for transfer. The courses must be taken within the ten-year time limit of admission into the college.
  5. Non-Major Status: A student who does not want to earn a degree or certificate is classified as a non-degree/major student. Non-degree/major students may request to change to certificate/degree status and apply credits earned while in non-degree status by declaring a major. Note: Non-majors will not satisfy eligibility requirements for federal student aid, veteran’s educational benefits or other financial aid assistance.
  6. Concurrent Enrollment: A student who is enrolled at NTU and also at another institute of higher learning should understand that federal student aid will be disbursed by only one Institution, but charged by each institution. Students should go to the Financial Aid Office to obtain more information about concurrent enrollment and financial aid.
  7. Dual Credit Enrollment: A student currently enrolled in high school and enrolled in one or more courses at NTU is considered to have dual enrollment. NTU has an agreement with various Secondary School Districts. Students need to obtain more information from their high school counselor. Otherwise students may opt to make payment for NTU courses at the Business Office.
  8. Continuing Education (CEU): A student who is participating in non-credit continuing education and professional activities.